Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mama-Thon: Catwoman and Child


I promised myself I wouldn't bring villainesses into it, one of my pet peeves is that the hero/villain relationship tends to be a heroic father and a villainous mother, but I couldn't leave this one alone. Catwoman is one of only two DC books staring a mother as the lead right now, and she's on good terms with the father and semi-heroic anyway.

Plus, I just like this picture. She seems a far cry from the svelte leather-suited thief she was last year. Everything seems softer, more maternal now (it's the coloring here that does that, soft greens and blues) that she's retired to raise a family. But here's the thing, it's still Catwoman. Somehow, I think it's the eyes, and the smile, and the pointyness of the nose in the profile, that give the impression. Catlike, but still gentle and loving. She's like a mother lion with a cub here.

I had my doubts about this story idea, but I have to say, so far it's worked really well. It's given Holly a step up in the book, it's given Selina a brand-new set of lessons to learn, and it's even softened Bruce. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment