Monday, February 20, 2006

Satin Worship

One of the best reasons to own The Best of the Spirit (by Will Eisner) is the fifth panel of Page 20.

That's the introduction of Satin. I've liked Satin since I saw her in Vol 12 of the Archives (She's dressed like a nun there for some reason). This was the first time I saw her introduction. It helped solidify my opinion.

I want to be her when I grow up.

In the first half-page of her existance, she walks in wearing what I think is one of my favorite comic-book female outfits ever, and immediately starts to make everyone around her squeamish. She's been shot. Yes, that is her striding in after being shot in the arm. No indication of pain. The entire scene, she doesn't show any indication of pain. Without even the slightest hint of whining about it, she takes the razorblade and hot water she requested and extracts the bullet from her own forearm. The wussies she's working with faint at the sight.

Also, note that she's using her right hand to do this. Later, she uses her left hand to club Spirit with a vase and hold a gun on him. Ambidextrous, too.

And the hat is very cool.

7 comments:

  1. I want that hat. Bad color on me though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And she's apparently about 7 feet tall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, I'd add that to the list of stuff to like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed: Satin goes to 11. And though those henchmen are squeamish wusses, S. no doubt selected them for their suitably cool-sounding names.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fight between Satin and the Spirit is, hands down, one of my favorite non-Simonson fight scenes in comics. It's a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I've read, Silk Satin was based on young Katherine Hepburn. And she overfloweth with The Awesome. As did Hepburn, come to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what is this site about in jesus name?

    ReplyDelete