Thursday, June 02, 2011

Reboot Madness! Everything Must Change!

Sure enough, right after I posted my concerns about the reboot the news went up about the next ten series that are getting rebooted. They seem very nonthreatening. I've already made some buy choices.

Of course, barring Dave Sim (and honestly, I think I'd pick that up just to see how fucked up it was) or Frank Miller I knew I'd be getting Wonder Woman. I had my fingers crossed for Grant Morrison, but DC handed the pen to someone else:


New York Times bestselling writer Brian Azzarello, author of The Joker and 100 Bullets, teams up with the immensely talented artist Cliff Chiang (Neil Young’s Greendale) for WONDER WOMAN #1, an exciting new series starring the DC Universe’s greatest superheroine. The cover to issue #1 is by Cliff Chiang.

Right away my heart sank. A lot of the big problems with Wonder Woman seem to derive from this ridiculous idea that she needs more of an edge. (I suppose being the personal enemy of the God of War and Violence himself just isn't impressive enough.) Brian Azzarello is known for 100 Bullets and just having the dark, edgy element to his stuff. No only that, bloodied sword on the cover.

But... Rucka was known for edgy street crime, and he was one of the best. The complaints I've heard about Azzarello's women seem to stem from bashing the supporting cast around, so a franchise like Wonder Woman that is purposefully gender-swapped might shake up his habits a little.

He's written Wonder Woman before in Superman #210-211, and David had some reassuring things to say about that. It's been a long time since I've read any of For Tomorrow (I only remember some heavy bondage with Kyle Rayner), but it's one of three Azzarello series on Comixology so as soon as I get my account straightened out I'll check the Wonder Woman parts out for myself. A couple people have recommended Doctor Thirteen so I've ordered that out of curiosity.

Not that not liking any of this will stop me from getting the next Wonder Woman origin retelling. I freaking love that story, and this is a character I usually give anyone a chance with.

Also, that is the best the pants have looked yet.

The other surprise I got was a Mr. Terrific solo series, just as I was worrying about the character's fate:


The world’s third-smartest man – and one of its most eligible bachelors – uses his brains and fists against science gone mad in MISTER TERRIFIC #1, the new series from writer Eric Wallace and artist Roger Robinson. The cover to issue #1 is by J.G. Jones.
Not familiar with the creative team, but I will be checking out the first issue unless someone drops something ridiculous in the lead-up interviews.

In the meantime, I'm relieved to see Johns leave the Flash:


Rising superstar Francis Manapul, fresh off his acclaimed run on THE FLASH with Geoff Johns, makes his comics writing debut in THE FLASH #1, sharing both scripting and art duties with Brian Buccellato. The Flash knows he can’t be everywhere at once, but what happens when he faces an all-new villain who can? The cover to issue #1 is by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato.
I'm unfamiliar with Bucellato but I'll definitely give Manapul's writing a shot for his art.



On the maybe pile I have JLI and Justice League. Johns and Lee are setting the stage for everything and Justice League used to be one of my staples, but I'm honestly getting tired of those creators. Lopresti on JLI is solid, and I like the lineup but I'm still deliberating on Jurgens. He's hit and miss for me.

In the meantime, Yan's keeping a list of books and creative teams as they get officially announced in case someone wants a scored.

4 comments:

  1. I too am checking out Wonder Woman, The Flash and JLI.

    I wish Wonder Woman would be quirky and fun instead of edgy though. I’m also liking her being athletic with running and jumping and not flying. Sorry I’m glad Grant doesn't get it because he claims he doesn't 'get' her and I'm inclined to take his word for it. A writer that knows his short comings is valued.

    For The Flash the art will be pretty at least. He’s my favorite so I hope they don’t screw this up again.

    As for JLI I’m hoping the black haired girl is Dinah Drake/Lance with a new look and not Donna Troy. Don’t care for Dick Grayson either, but due to his costume being the same as the Justice League cover I’m inclined to believe he’s Bruce. Glad Guy Gardner is back too. Where’s Blue Beetle. That intrigues me to find out.

    I'm on the fence for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy about JLI that I could just plotz. And Wonder Woman has me singing a happy tune as well. Azzarello and Chiang did Doctor Thirteen, and it was wonderful! And hilarious. And gorgeous. So I think Diana is going to be in good hands.

    And I hate to admit this,but Hawkman actually has me slightly intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian Azzarello is strong on character stuff but I am curious to see if he can pull off the action aspect of it. Writers with strong indie backgrounds tend to really falter when it comes to the action scenes (Looking at you Bendis) but if anyone can do it Azzarello can.

    And can someone tell me why DC is so...GOSH DARN intent on labeling Mr Terrific as the worlds third smartest man? Why can't he just be labled as one of the world's smartest men? Are Batman fans THAT insecure that Mr Terrific is required by law to carry that number three ranking with him wherever he goes?

    "One of the world's smartest men– and one of its most eligible bachelors – uses his brains and fists against science gone mad in MISTER TERRIFIC #1, the new series from writer Eric Wallace and artist Roger Robinson. The cover to issue #1 is by J.G. Jones"

    See how easy that is DC!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, for years I've been an advocate for putting Diana in long pants.

    Now that I see it -- and even though I rather liked the live-action version of this outfit, and even though this version isn't marred by Christmas tree ribbon up and down her arms, I have to say ...

    It's not working for me.

    Long pants don't make Wonder Woman look confident. They make her look ashamed of her body.

    Maybe it's just years of reading the character, or maybe I've just been influenced by your blog, but if there's one constant that even Perez got right: this woman is not from a body-shy culture. She has no reason or interest in hiding herself. The bare legs make sense both from a classical Greek cultural standpoint and from a character standpoint.

    Or maybe I'm just looking at this whole reboot through fatigue-colored glasses.

    ReplyDelete