Saturday, September 22, 2007

Oh, and in case you were wondering...

I'll admit it. There was a point in Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Parallax where I thought I felt my heart grow two sizes after I turned the page. (Don't worry, it shrunk again when I started reading reviews of the Green Arrow and Black Canary Wedding Special. I may have lost a size.)

Strangely, it left me with an ending where I'd predicted the "how" of it (Kalinara can attest to that one), but not the why of it. Usually I can guess the whys of a plot but the hows are what I read to find out.

I liked the art. Kyle's face and hair worked well, but I thought he was overmuscled. I like when he's drawn short and slender, with compact muscles so that the bad guy towers over him. Kyle's one of those characters I like to see outmatched in every possible way from the outset, even physically. It makes when he wins more impressive. Still, this was taking place inside Kyle's mind so works.

The stubble was interesting. I think Adriana Melo (the penciller here) and Patrick Gleason may be the only two artists I've seen bother to draw stubble on Kyles face.

This issue drives home how emotionally reserved Kyle can be, especially for such an expressive artist. He has his tantrums, yes, but the entire issue is set in his head under the worst stress imaginable and he's thinking very calmly about his problem for most of it.

Anyway, I'll wait on the "I told ya so" dance over this crossover until we see how things play outside of Kyle's head because I'm sure some of you are still convinced things will not turn out with Kyle on top even after this.

In the meantime there was a reference to some issues in this book that bug me (yes, its the role of women in this franchise and I should've known it would take a Marz-written book to shake them to the surface for me), and I'm trying to put together my thoughts on mothers and Green Lantern in respect to this issue. I might get a post out of either if I get the energy.

Also there's a point with Ganthet from Rebirth I have to reread because I think it'll come up again. (ETA: This point.)

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, Kyle WAS pretty. It was a heck of a good week for women artists, from Nicola Scott in Birds of Prey, Amanda Conner in the Green Arrow/Black Canary special, to Adriana Melo.

    I don't know if you picked up the JlA/Hitman book, cut Kyle is in it as well...and is QUITE hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And date-raped by Bueno Excellente!

    I've been looking at this blog for the past three days now, waiting to see if you'd comment on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I was thinking the same thing. This gave me a lot more confidence about how they're going to treat Kyle in the future. Yes, I'm a worrywort.

    The one-shot was kickass as well, and in the hands of my gf right now.

    ReplyDelete