Friday, February 02, 2007

Another Director Bites the Dust

Whedon's off the Wonder Woman project (Via):
You (hopefully) heard it here first: I'm no longer slated to make Wonder Woman. What? But how? My chest... so tight! Okay, stay calm and I'll explain as best I can. It's pretty complicated, so bear with me. I had a take on the film that, well, nobody liked. Hey, not that complicated.

Let me stress first that everybody at the studio and Silver Pictures were cool and professional. We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that's never gonna work. Non-sympatico. It happens all the time. I don't think any of us expected it to this time, but it did. Everybody knows how long I was taking, what a struggle that script was, and though I felt good about what I was coming up with, it was never gonna be a simple slam-dunk. I like to think it rolled around the rim a little bit, but others may have differing views.

The worst thing that can happen in this scenario is that the studio just keeps hammering out changes and the writer falls into a horrible limbo of development. These guys had the clarity and grace to skip that part. So I'm a free man.

On one hand we won't have to suffer through Whedon-made villains. I cringed when I heard he didn't want to use the ones she already has. Plus I was dying for the WWII connection to remain (I do hope the rumor that the new script has a WWII setting is true).

On the other hand, its back to Development Hell for one of my favorite franchises.

7 comments:

  1. I was going to argue that Wonder Woman's rogues aren't that good, but I changed my mind while I was logging in.

    So, lemme just say. I loved Buffy, and had all sortsa high hopes for the Wonder Woman movie. (And I'm much more the Diana fan than any of the other iconic/top tier/big DC heroes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing on the villains: Growing Woman and Evil Midget and BAM! there's your movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy about this.

    And the fact that they removed such a high-profile person from this project due to creative differences makes me think that the studio is ready to go with a certain version of the story. So hopefully no development hell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure the studio has a version of the story all ready to go. I am also sure they had a version they were very excited about for Catwoman too. Whatever else he might have done, Whedon would not have turned out a bad movie. I'm not saying that everything he makes is fantastic, but he almost never turns out anything that can be called bad. I wish i could say the same for movie studio execs

    ReplyDelete
  5. On one hand, I'm sad because having Joss attached would definitely have gotten the Wonder Woman movie made.

    On the other hand, if he couldn't see the possibilities inherent in Circe, Dr. Psycho, Silver Swan, or even Dr. Poison, then it probably wouldn't have been as good as it could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mela,
    Cheetah all the way!

    While it sucks that a good filmmaker with a proven track record is off the film (moving it form the "don't worry" to "worry" category), maybe it's good news, if it means it will be a few more years.

    Clearly DC Comics isn't ready to capitalize on a surge of Wonder Woman interest. Not only do they not have a monthly, but the Wonder Woman tpb program's a bit wonky, and her continuity is screwed up beyond belief, thanks to INFINITE CRISIS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mela,
    Cheetah all the way!

    While it sucks that a good filmmaker with a proven track record is off the film (moving it form the "don't worry" to "worry" category), maybe it's good news, if it means it will be a few more years.

    Clearly DC Comics isn't ready to capitalize on a surge of Wonder Woman interest. Not only do they not have a monthly, but the Wonder Woman tpb program's a bit wonky, and her continuity is screwed up beyond belief, thanks to INFINITE CRISIS.

    ReplyDelete