Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Hey, those aren't the rules!

Okay, one thing keeps bothering me about this post:
The questions began. First I was asked to establish more credentials, and it wasn’t even innocently phrased anymore. One guy said, word for word, “If you really like Batman, name three Robins.” Because hey, I’m me, I busted out Stephanie Brown, in fact, and not Tim Drake. I was then told that I’d forgotten one. (“No, you asked for three and I named three. If you wanted Tim, you should have asked who the three male Robins were.”) I was asked who killed Jason Todd. I was asked to detail current storylines.
Since no else has mentioned it yet, I might as well.

Didn't she win?

I mean, seriously. She knew Stephanie Brown and they didn't. Their knowledge of Batman trivia was inferior to hers. They had no right to keep questioning. In fact, she could have been demanding that they prove their geeky credentials because they were out of date.

She won, dammit. They're supposed to lower their heads and bare their soft underbellies for devouring. No fair, dammit.

7 comments:

  1. It's a mark of the truly stupid that they can't even tell when they are beaten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Their knowledge of Batman trivia was inferior to hers. They had no right to keep questioning. In fact, she could have been demanding that they prove their geeky credentials because they were out of date."

    But that's not how geek entitlement works. MY credentials are never "out of date" - if I don't know something about current books, well that's just because the current books suck and you're a loser for reading them when they are clearly inferior to the books that were written in 1965/1975/1985/1995/whenever I first started reading comics. Much like the game we used to play when I was a kid - "Heads I win, Tails you lose", or political punditry.

    That's part of the reason I no longer hang around comic book stores for the conversations - they just drip with contempt for anyone who isn't on exactly their same wavelength. The owners are usually okay (I only tend to shop at stores that have owners that are okay), but my fellow customers usually just tick me off with their various geek entitlement syndromes.

    "They're supposed to lower their heads and bare their soft underbellies for devouring."

    Um - I would request that NO ONE in any comic book store I purchase books at EVER bare their soft underbellies. Most of them probably look like my soft underbelly, and really who wants to see that? And even if there are some nice looking soft underbellies, its just better to stay consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course she won. But they'll never admit it. The trick is to keep going and going until they (finally) ask a question that she doesn't know the answer to, and then they can convince themselves that they are triumphant! And girls have cooties.

    Man, I am cranky today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, the second you start testing someone for their geek/nerd trivia knowledge to prove your nerd superiority, you lose (if anything, your dignity).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, she won. But because girls have cooties and have no buisness knowing geek trivia the automatically loses! Or something. I forget how the geek rules are supposed to work. The doctor says I'm not allowed to talk to people in comic book stores due to risk of my brain actually melting in self-defense.

    P.S. if asked to name three robins, I totally would have included Carrie Kelly as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing more frustrating than pwning someone who is too stupid to understand that he/she has been totally pwned. Nothing, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trick is refusing to acknowledge that they've refused to acknowledge that you've won.

    And then you follow it up with your own geek question that they can't answer.

    ReplyDelete