Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Five Things Feminism Has Done For Me Meme

I was tagged for this one a long time ago. I am terribly slow with memes. Also, I fear this will reveal too much of my petty, vindictive soul.

Oh well.

Here goes:

1) Last November, two men who signed their names to absurd, criminally unconstitutional legislature, wasted taxpayer money, and had the most odious personal politics I have ever heard of were voted out of office, and I helped. Yay Suffrage!

2) When in a discussion about politics or feminism, and someone states something to the effect of "Have YOU ever served?" or implies that women should be eligible for the draft if they want equality, I can say "Yes, in fact I enlisted during the Clinton years before patriotism became so popular. How about you?"
Past military service still carries a surprising amount of weight with a lot of people in the US, and its only because of feminism that I had the option.

3) I can upgrade and troubleshoot my own damned computer because of the training I got in the military, in a career field that was not open to women fifty years ago.

4) I have my own job, and I pay for my rent, my food, and my utilities with money that I earned myself. I didn't need to stay with my parents until I got married.

5) When I'm finished working, and need to relax, I can go online and find a story that features a woman like me, who has my interests, and my skills, and maybe some of my background. This does not have to be a romance story, though it can be if I'm in the mood. It can be political, fantasy, science fiction, or just a story about ordinary life. It can be online or at a nearby store, a television show I hadn't known about, a comic, or written prose. I can find a story where the hero, a woman, drives the story, does not fit entirely into a set little box of wife, mother or daughter based on how she relates to a male hero. I can find a story that doesn't try to subtly drive my lifestyle choice in a direction I find unsatisfying, just because that's the social role for my gender. I can find a story that values what I do and affirms that women can have it too. I can write such a story and reasonably expect to see it published and read.

Which is basically a long way of saying I can dream, and share it with others, and I can learn what other people dreamed about, and there aren't stupid limits on what we can share based on what's acceptable for girls to dream about.

And this meme is old, so whoever hasn't been tagged before and is reading this, consider yourself tagged.

6 comments:

  1. Yes but since you aren't married and don't have any kids...your opinion doesn't matter does it? Oh wait, that was the opinion of what's her ass who tore apart Condelezza Rice. How do you feel about women who think women aren't women if they ain't chuckin' out babies? Personally I thought it was funny. I love when feminazis fight. Especially in Jello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You finally did it!

    Woot!

    *sheds tears of joy*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megha -- I had that post bookmarked to remind me!

    (Sorry it took so long)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! This meme originated from the progessivebloggers.ca website in combatting the cuts to Canada's Status of Women organization by the federal government - and the Minister for Women's Equality saying that women in Canada are already equal so we no longer need feminist orgs. HA!!!!! Pass it on, this meme needs to make it around the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete