Thursday, May 11, 2006

Mama-Thon -- The Red Tornado

One of the suggestions for the Mama-Thon was somebody I'd already made up my mind to include -- the Original Red Tornado, Ma Hunkle.



I first encountered her in a DCU Holiday Bash Special, which was where I first encountered the whole JSA, come to think of it. They did a story where the JSA had a party at their headquarters, and cut to the kitchen for a page. There was Ma Hunkle, the original Red Tornado, chasing a bunch of kids away from the food. She was a big, solid redheaded-woman who looked like she could easily scare anyone away from the kitchen. I didn't see her again until JSA #55 (A Christmas issue!), when Alan Scott goes to invite her to the JSA Museum as curator.

She has a fascinating story, with loads of elements I'd love -- working class mother, fed up with crime in her area, inspired by Green Lantern to throw on a red longjohns, a blanket (a cape!), and an old cooking pot (for a mask!) to fight crime. She even pretended to be a man to disguise her secret identity, which is something I've been dying to see a female superhero do! Eventually, she got to be such a thorn in the sides of the local mobsters that she had to go into the Witness Protection Program. There she stayed until there was a break between world-shattering plots during Christmas so they could bring her back in a heartwarming story.



They couldn't resist showing that she still liked punching people while wearing men's clothing.

In All-Star Comics #3 Ma Hunkle nearly became a Justice Society founder. She was the first women to appear at one of their meetings but sadly was unable to stay long enough to share a story. However, as this is the only Golden-Age page I've ever seen of Mrs Hunkle, this is what I'll leave you with tonight. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Exactly how many heroes did Green Lantern inspire, anyway? With all these people owing their careers to him, you'd think they'd play him up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by that Golden Age page, it seems the JSA never treated any Red Tornado all that well...

    Buncha jerks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I read a rant somewhere I don't remember, where they said that Red Tornado was actually a very successful crime fighter in her own stories, but she was turned into a joke in her very few JSA appearances. In one of those Crisis on Multiple Earths trades they even refer to her as "All brawn no brain." I think it was Flash... the butt-hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was Starman who made the brawn/brain crack in Justice League #64.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why hasn't anyone ever done a Red Tornado/Red Tornado mini or one-shot? I'd buy that for four dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All-Star Red Tornado.

    It needs to happen.

    No, really, it does. For it would rule. You've got ass-kicking, a cool costume, street-level crime, a female lead, gender-bending, and a hero who wears cookware upon her head. Righteous!

    I've loved the Tornado since I was a young'un and read a couple of Scribbly reprints. How can you not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see it now...

    * All Star Red Tornado *

    - Excuse me, are you the Red Tomato?

    - Are you dense? Are you retarded? I am the goddamn Red tornado!


    OK, that joke is getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dorian -- Alan gets lots of panel time. You see him get hurt, you see him double over, you see him bitch out the younger generation, you see him in a hospital bed, you see him get bandaged...

    RAB -- Cool! Thanks for the link to that!

    Fortress Keeper -- Yep, they were teasing her something awful. But they treated each other that way, too.

    Batiduende -- This was her only JSA appearance that I'd know of, I'd like to see the others.

    Hermit -- Seriously? Usually Flash is the jerk.

    Dan -- They don't think anyone's interested. :( They concentrate on the silly Silver Age robot when their concept for a Golden Age Red Tornado is pure, well, gold! I'd love to see an update of the character where it's another fed-up mother who dons the mantle.

    Harvey -- Sounds like a hit to me!

    *Shakes head at Batiduende*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Several full-length Golden Age RT stories in The Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics (1982), eds. Martin T. Willams and J. Michael Barrier. Out-of-print, but not hard to find through libraries or online dealers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon -- Ooo... Thanks for the tip! i'll keep my eyes open.

    ReplyDelete