Deadline: June 15, 2007
About off our backs: Off our backs is a newsjournal by, for, and about women. It has been published continuously since 1970, making it the longest surviving feminist newspaper in the United States. It is run by a collective where all decisions are made by consensus. The mission of off our backs is:
* to provide news and information about women's lives and feminist activism
* to educate the public about the status of women around the world
* to serve as a forum for feminist ideas and theory
* to be an information resource on feminist, women's, and lesbian culture; and
* to seek social justice and equality for women worldwide.
About the special theme issue: Feminisms and Cultures Culture is what we do and the importance of what we do. Feminist culture has always been important to the feminist movement. Cultural Feminism seeks to both re-discover women’s cultural contributions from earlier eras and to build a contemporary women’s culture. In the current millennium, womyn’s culture and cultural feminism continue to change and evolve providing new and important insights for feminist struggles and feminist liberations. This special issue of off our backs will explore the contemporary connections between feminisms and cultures considering the broadest possible definitions and intersections of those two words. Some of the questions we wish to consider include:
* What are feminist(s) culture(s) today?
* Where are cultural expressions of feminism found today?
* What is the role of music, art, film, literature, and poetry in feminism today?
* How does feminist cultural production confront patriarchy and other systems of oppression?
* How do feminist cultures support and sustain our political and economic work for liberation from patriarchy?
We are interested in articles that explore and engage feminist cultural production from the past and in our contemporary world. We are interested in personal accounts of artists, writers, and feminist cultural workers about the meaning and significance of their work currently. We are interested in analysis of feminisms and cultures. We are interested in reports of feminist cultural work in the United States and around the world. For our special issue on Feminisms and Cultures, we are looking for manuscripts of 500 to 2,000 words. If you are interested in writing a longer piece, please query first.
Deadline: June 15, 2007.
For manuscript submission guidelines, please visit the off our backs website here: http://www.offourbacks.org/Write.htm
Submit manuscripts to firstname.lastname@example.org AND to JREnszer@aol.com Questions, queries, comments?
Please email the special editor of this themed issue, Julie R. Enszer at JREnszer@aol.com
Please distribute this call for manuscripts widely.
off our backs
2337B 18th Street
NW Washington, DC 20009
Saturday, April 28, 2007
They may be in need of a comics article.
Found through Feminist Writers: