Friday, May 19, 2006

Spoilers! My Real-Time Reactions to 52: Week 2

So, wait... After sitting out his wife's murder, his teammate Ted's disappearance, the villainization of his old boss, and the biggest crossover of the decade -- Ralph's going to actually act like detective again?

It's nice to see that there's might be a reason for all the super-geniuses disappearing.

Wow, Renee's so butch she even gets to be drawn in the "male character sleeping position." Good for her. I'm starting to notice a trend, though. DC tends towards the stereotype for it's Lesbian characters (Except for Holly Go-Nightly). On the bright side, that's the least sexualized scene of a woman sleeping in her underwear I've ever seen.

I'm thinking Skeets might be some variety of Evil Robot now.

Hehehe... Superboy.

Cassie?

RALPH!!!

Man, Ralph is so cool now.

And of course, in the backup feature -- Donna Troy is still a Wuss.

Anyway, worth the price of admission.

Huh. How does this backup feature manage to be more cheesecakey than the four pages of the two lesbians in their underwear?

9 comments:

  1. Yeah I giggled at the panel with 3 orbs in it. Then I felt shame for being so juvenile. Then I realized I didn't draw the danged thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph was ALWAYS cool.

    I read those Ralph back-ups in The Flash and Detective when I was 8 or 9.

    When I was 12 or 13, I finally caught the Thin Man movies.

    My reaction, of course, even though I was well aware of the relative debuts:

    "Golly! It's Ralph and Sue!!"

    I'm glad to see them pulling Ralph back together. No matter how catastrophic the tragedy, the Ductile Detective I grew up with will eventually bounce back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you KIDDING?

    Wow.


    Which part is that a reaction to, Sandi? The language (I'm sorry if it offended you, but sadly that was the first word that popped into my head), Holly not being a stereotype, or the de-sexualization of the scene?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm holding out on 52 until we get to see more of what happened to the Titans (Raven and Gar in particular), a memorial to the other heroes that died (remember them, DC?), and how Red Star's holding up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No comment on Batgirl The Stock Villain?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No comment on Batgirl The Stock Villain?

    Not until the storyline's over. Comics make heroes look like villains all the time, just to reveal mind-control, evil twins, temporary insanity, or a misunderstanding at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think part of the reason there are no full frontal (or full rear) "sexualized" shots of Montoya is that her bra and panties seem to have been added by the inker. I think the scene was originally pencilled with both women in the nude. See the fifth panel of their first page and the fourth panel of the next page for some slight evidence for this theory (shadowed breasts with no bras where bras should be). Also, some clumsy work by the inker in the large panel on that second page, creating a breast for Montoya where I'm assuming there was only negative space.

    This would make more sense of the fact that the Question seems to be handing her a pair of panties (though it's a really tiny pair). I don't know why he didn't just pick up her t-shirt if he wanted her to get dressed. He practically steps on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isaac -- You're probably right (and it disappoints me)

    Jenn -- Every notable female cop except for Hope O'Dare, I believe.

    Please, no one let Judd Winick near Opal City...

    ReplyDelete