Thursday, December 23, 2010

My Year in Fannish Favorites

I'm going to go ahead and steal this meme off Caroline like I stole the blog every day this month idea off of her.

Your main fandom of the year?

As every year... Superheroes. Though while I was deployed I read a ton of pulp sci-fi, Classical mythology and King Arthur fiction.

Your favorite film watched this year?

I didn't watch many movies that I can remember this year, actually. The one I watched most was Sleeping Beauty but I'm not sure 50 year old movies count for this meme.

Your favorite book read this year?

I haven't finished Swamps of Venus yet, so I'm going to have to go with Black Amazon of Mars (aka People of the Talisman) because it was a chance find that keyed me into a pulp short story writer I hadn't known of before. It sent me on a month-long search for Leigh Brackett writing credits, and I just love her solar system stories so much.

Your favorite album or song to listen to this year?

Ever since I got back from Afghanistan I've had The War For Infinity in my CD player. If anyone else has been listening to that one, he just did a commentary for each of the songs on Tumblr.

Your favorite TV show of the year?

I don't watch too much TV. While I was away I watched all of Stargate Atlantis, Seinfeld and every bit of 30 Rock that's on DVD now, but Fringe has seriously kicked the asses of everything else. This season has been amazing.

Sometime I will get off my ass and blog everything I love about Peter and Olivia.

Your best new fandom discovery of the year?

Leigh Brackett takes this without breaking a sweat. I fucking love Munseys and all the old writers I've been able to find on there.

Runners up? I discovered Mage, Madman, and Incorruptible via the Comixology app on the iPad.


Your biggest fandom disappointment of the year?

I had to devote a whole post to this one.

Your TV boyfriend of the year? Your TV girlfriend of the year?

Joshua Jackson and Anna Torv on Fringe as Peter Bishop and Olivia Dunham. As a couple.

Your biggest squee moment of the year?

Greg Rucka replied me on Twitter and Gail Simone commented on my Tumblr. I know comics fans are supposed to be blase` about creator interaction, it happens all the time, but for me I still get that fangirl thrill from it.

The most missed of your old fandoms?

I really miss the Green Lantern books from last year. That Blackest Night build-up was the best, and it wasn't just plain anticipation of an event. Those stories are fun and introduce so much potential.

The fandom you haven’t tried yet, but want to?

Adam WarRock's an artist I found through comics, and his is the first rap album I've ever listened to. I'd like to hear more of the good stuff, but not sure where to start.

Your biggest fan anticipations for the New Year?

I've been out of X-men because this Utopia stuff doesn't really appeal to me, but "Age of X" looks really damned interesting, and X-men was the franchise that got me into superheroes. I am just dying for an excuse to get back into it.

I can't wait for the Batwoman series to get started.

Steve Rogers will eventually be Captain America again. I freaking love Bucky, but I sincerely think this trial stuff will end with a handoff back to Steve. (Fingers crossed Bucky goes back to the superbly designed Winter Soldier identity.)

I've been complaining about Young Avengers: Children's Crusade, but I really am counting the weeks until it kicks into gear and Wanda starts acting like herself again. Avengers Academy #9 is supposed to have a lot of Quicksilver, and it's based around my favorite student Finesse going off to find her real father.

No comments:

Post a Comment