Wednesday, December 12, 2007

News

From Paul Kidby's website:
AN EMBUGGERANCE

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet :o)

Terry Pratchett

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell. I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.
(Via)

12 comments:

  1. I'm going to find God and I'm going to punch him in the balls. For a couple months...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. That's a thing to wake up to, isn't it.

    Just put me down as a "seconded" for Lurker's thought on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, hell.

    That's the most depressing news I've had in five months, six days, and sixteen hours.

    I just hope that Terry Pratchett is going to be one of the lucky ones who benefits from the work they're doing on Alzheimer's research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw.. hell. Here's hoping the help he gets from the high-end experts in chemistry makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :(

    Hope it progresses slowly enough for a cure to be developed.

    His books were one of the things that got me through Keesler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard :( It's sad :\

    I hope that he is okay for a long time tho :)

    ReplyDelete