Wednesday, July 11, 2007

More Being Mean to Kyle-Fans

I'm so absentminded sometimes. I jotted down a note about a comment that said "I'm just not sure that Kyle won't be used to fuel angst for John, Hal, and Guy when they're forced to kill him during this" as one of the funniest and silliest things ever said by a Green Lantern fan, but I didn't write down where I saw it. It may have been on Geoff Johns' board.

Either way, it was really funny because there was a long ten year period where Hal and John were pretty much there to fuel angst for Kyle, and it was really silly in light of the premise of Rebirth (Parallax bonded to Jordan's soul so it kept control beyond that grave and tried to twist the Spectre's power), which makes it unimaginable that Hal Jordan would let anyone die with that thing attached to his soul, especially Kyle.

I was planning on digging it up to settle an argument, but now I can't find it. And I checked my comment section pretty thoroughly.

Rats.

Oh well, Green Lantern #21 is out today and I'm sure there will be a lot of complaining about it and I can find something else.

As much as I'm ranting, though, I am really starting to enjoy the fuss over this one and if anyone sees any really funny complaints let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Mine, presumably, from your livejournal:

    "Mmm. I think that claiming that people don't know how to read a comic book is a little off. The assumption that of course this is just an obstacle to overcome before the inevitable triumph is based on the belief that Kyle is the *lead* of the story, and I don't think there's any reason to assume that.

    So the story may go there, but I don't see any reason to be confident that it is that arc, instead of Kyle being used to traumatize the other GLs when they have to destroy him, or him having a moment of clarity and self-sacrifice and being mourned. Certainly there is little, as the previous poster said, in recent DC canon to make him or me trust that it is going that way."

    I can't say I view it as a silly thing; your version of Hal might not do it, but comic books are written by writers, not dictated by the spirit of the character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, I thought that GUY was supposed to provide angst for Hal. I really don't think that they are going to kill of Kyle. If they kill off ANY of them, I'll...I'll be quite irate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tavella -- Oh, that's funny because I wanted to use it to settle the disagreement with you. Well, that idea's out, sorry to drag this into public.

    Anyway, Characters are written by writers but writers are creatures of habit -- particularly Geoff Johns. And both Rebirth and Sinestro Corps were written by the same guy.

    We'll never settle this one until the story's resolved, I suppose, so would you be willing to make a friendly non-monetary wager on this one?

    ReplyDelete